There's been tons of buzz about Adobe's latest announcement…. Have you heard?
In a nutshell….. If you want the latest version of Photoshop CS you will have to become a creative cloud subscriber.
So far this does not include Lightroom and Elements. They will be available as stand alone purchases. Note: Lightroom is included in the Creative Cloud bundle.
A lot of people are unhappy about this change…… my oh my....there's some strong opinions.
Personally I think getting really upset about the changes is a waste of valuable creative energy. Change happens….
I've had several emails asking me about the changes ……
So I thought I'd share my thoughts…..
Please note that there is tons of information out there… I am so far from an expert on this subject….. I can only tell you what I've read and what I've decided to do.
Here's how I understand it…..
Adobe is switching gears…if you want the latest and greatest version of photoshop you will have to become a cloud subscriber……
At first glance it seems really expensive…..
Let's take a deep breath and break it down.
1. You do not have to subscribe to the entire creative cloud offer. You can subscribe to the Photoshop CC option only. Good news, if you already own a legitimate copy of CS3 to CS6 you only have to pay $10/month for the first year. Woo hoo.
2. If you wish to subscribe to the entire creative cloud program, at first glance it is $50/month. But, if you own photoshop CS6 there is a special one year rate available for just $20/month. And if you own CS3-CS5 you can subscribe for $30/month. You can access the special offers here. The Creative Cloud gives you access to pretty much all the Adobe software, including the latest version of Lightroom.
3. There is also a fab rate available for students/teachers. Adobe CC is $20/month. This offer expires June 25th.
4. If you do not wish to subscribe to cloud in order to have access to the newer versions of photoshop.....consider switching to Elements and team it up with Lightroom….both of these programs are available as stand alone purchase software (so far). (clarification: At this time, you can purchase any of adobe's cs6 products, but the new versions will only be available to cloud subscribers.)
5. If you already own Photoshop CS6, Adobe will continue to add any fixes/updates as they are available. However, you will not have access to the updated features unless you become a cloud member.
Okay friends… that's what I know.....
Here's what I decided to do.
I own CS6 and Lightroom 4….
I will always have the most up to date version … first because it's part of my business, and second because i'm a tech lover…..
Anyhow, for me, the $20/month option is the best deal. This will keep me in with the latest and greatest version of Photoshop and LR. I will also have access to many other programs, including Premier Pro, which I'm excited to dive into......
So dear friends…. that's it in a nutshell……
Take a deep breath and choose what works for you…….. don't let it stress you….. life is short, and full of blessings……
Click HERE to check out the special creative cloud offers.
I did not write this post to stir up a debate.... if you wish to debate Adobe's decision there are plenty of threads out there, with tons of participants... This is simply my understanding of the options available.
much love…..and so much gratitude.